The church of St. Charles Borromeo, better known as Karlskirche is one of the most beautiful churches in Vienna, and one of the best examples of baroque and roccoco art in the world. It is also one of the most famous landmarks of the Austrian capital.
The church is located at Karlsplatz, just outside the Ring boulevard.
Brief history and Architecture
In 1713, one year after the last great plague epidemic, Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor, pledged to build a church for his namesake patron saint, Charles Borromeo, who was revered as a healer for plague sufferers. Karlskirche was built from 1716. to 1737, by the designs of Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach (completed by his son).
The design is composed of diverse gracefully combined elements: the central façade and portico were inspired by greek temple design, while the two lateral tower pavilions show elements of Roman baroque. The two columns were inspired by the Trajan’s column in Rome. Karlskirche is crowned by an elongated dome.
Metro: U1, U2, U4 (Karlsplatz)